Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jodi Picoult - Excellent Author

I am on my third book by Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes. The first two books I read by her were My Sister's Keeper and Vanishing Act. I love and hate her books all at the same time. Her writing style keeps you at the edge of your seat and it is very difficult to put her books down. She leaves you wondering what you are missing; what surprises she has in store for you. Even once you have put the book down, you find yourself thinking about the events in the book throughout your day. She writes about very current issues and sometimes very controversial issues. The thing I love most about her books is also the thing I hate. She has a great way of getting you involved emotionally to her characters and to the events that are happening in her books. And when you feel like your emotions can take no more and you feel that the story is coming to an end and you can relax, that is when she brings out the big guns and hits your emotions with a surprise twist. There is always a surprise, something you were not expecting that sends your already emotional state spiraling. This is the part I hate and love. Usually when I have finished reading the book I am emotionally exhausted. But after a little time, I realize, an author who can get you that involved with their characters is worth reading again.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love her books and hate them too! I've read Perfect Match and Keeping Faith. I also got The Tenth Circle but haven't read it yet. They're great for summer reading though!

Valerie said...

I've read Nineteen Minutes, my friend gave it to me, I know exactly what you mean about her writing style!