Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wild Ride. . . Down the Stairs

I fell down the stairs today. I am okay . . . I think. The really scary part was that I was holding Hunter. He is okay. Hunter landed against me, so he had the softest landing. I called his doctor and after a series of questions they said it sounded like he was fine.

But it was a scary experience. Praise God that I was past the turn in our stairs before I fell. I slipped coming down the stairs and my back was the first thing to hit the stairs. Then I continued to slip down each stair with my left arm, the back of my waist and my back taking the brunt of each stair. I couldn't use my hands to stop myself, because they were holding Hunter. When I finally made it to the bottom I had to let go of Hunter to stop myself from falling onto him. So he did have a little fall, but it was only inches.

The funny part is, somehow my bottom didn't hit anything. My bottom never touched the stairs as I was falling down and then once I hit the bottom of the stairs, I landed on the side of my hip. So the part of me that has the most cushion was no help at all.

I have a bloody spot on my arm about the size and shape of a quarter and I feel very sore, similar to after having a car accident. Pretty much everything on my left side from the hip up is sore. My lower back hurts when I sit down. But I really do think it is all just being sore and bruised and that there is no real damage.

As soon as I was at the bottom of the stairs, I called Daniel and asked him to come home. At this point I was in a lot of pain and had no idea if I could get up, let alone pick up Hunter. I wanted to make sure that Daniel was on his way home in case someone was really hurt. Then I called Hunter's doctor. After talking to the doctor most of the major pain had subsided and I was able to get up and pick Hunter up.

Praise God that our crazy ride down the stairs was not more serious!

1 comment:

Eadie said...

Oh, I am so sorry! I hope you are feeling better! I have done that too. I bruised my tailbone and it hurt for about a month so maybe it is good that part of you didn't touch anything.