Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tax Season

Recently I have had numerous people make comments to me about tax season and how I couldn't possibly miss the long hours and hard work that used to consume me during tax season.  This always makes me laugh.  As if the job I have now has shorter hours and less hard work.

The truth is I do miss tax season sometimes.  I loved doing tax returns.  Tax returns are like puzzles, each one is different and you have to figure out the best way to put the pieces together.  The work was challenging and I really enjoyed it.  When doing a tax return I felt in my element.  There were set rules and standards that were followed.  I spent over 5 years of my life learning how to be a great accountant.  Were as I have had NO training what-so-ever for being a stay at home mom. 

Being a stay at home mom is NOT my element.  I am not a "natural" stay at home mom.  I don't have a domestic bone in my body (ask my husband or my mother, they will tell you).  I find staying at home much more of a challenge than any tax season.  The creativity and problem solving skills I use each day really go way beyond anything I ever did while I was an accountant.  There are no set rules or standards for how to deal with all the different situations I deal with on a daily basis.  Once I have figured out a good solution to something, inevitably a new problem will present itself and I start all over again.

Let me say, I am very blessed to be able to stay home with my children.  And I would not go back to work if given the option.  But understand, I don't stay home because it is easier or more enjoyable than working as an accountant.  I stay home for my children.  I stay home so I can teach them and help them become the amazing children I want them to be.  I want to be the one teaching them their moral values and social skills.  I want to be the one disciplining them.  I want to be the one they come to with problems and the one they come to with victories.  I don't want to miss the special moments and the chances to show them my love.  And daily I am learning just as much as they are, probably more.

I have heard many mothers say, "I could never stay home."  I used to say that.  Then I did it.  And I continue to do it everyday.

I am greatly blessed!

No comments: