Thursday, February 14, 2008

NO SMALL BAND-AIDS FOR BABIES!!!!!!!!!

Today I learned the hard way why you should not put a small Band-Aid on your baby's finger.

This morning I was reading Addison a book. She slid her finger down one of the pages and got a paper cut. I couldn't seem to get it to stop bleeding, so I put a little round Band-Aid on her finger. A few hours later we get into the car to go visit a friend of mine. As I am stopped at a red light I notice that Addison is chewing on something. I don't think much of it because these days she is always doing strange things with her mouth. Then she starts coughing. As the light turns green and I start to go through the intersection Addison stops coughing, in fact she is not making any noise at all, but her mouth is open and she looks weird. I immediately pull over, jump out of the car, jerk open the back seat door and jump in. SHE IS NOT BREATHING! At this point I realize that her Band-Aid is no longer on her finger. I reach down into her mouth, but I can't find anything. Finally in great desperation, I stick my finger down her throat as far as I can (I know this had to hurt her) and I feel the Band-Aid and I swipe it out. She sucks in a deep breath and then she let out a VERY LOUD cry. Both Addison and I sat there and cried for a moment. I finally got her to calm down, though I was still VERY shaken.
I praise God that I realized something was wrong. I praise God that I was able to pull off to the side of the road as fast as I did. I praise God that I was able to finally reach the Band-Aid. And I praise God that Addison is okay.

3 comments:

L. E. I. said...

Oh so happy to hear your little one was ok.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I was just looking for baby bandages but now I'm like duh after reading your story. Thanks so much and glad you got to her in time!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I was just looking for baby bandages but now I'm like duh after reading your story. Thanks so much and glad you got to her in time!