Monday, June 15, 2009

Wedding Tradition

It is wedding season and Daniel and I have been going to lots of different weddings. I love going to weddings and it has been fun talking with other people (who are already married) about what we did or did not do at our respective weddings.

Something that always seems to shock people about my wedding was the fact that Daniel and I took our wedding pictures before the wedding. When I tell people this, their eyes widen and they say, "You mean you two saw each other before the ceremony on your wedding day?!" YES, we saw each other on our wedding day before the ceremony. It is so funny to me that so many people think this is a BIG NO NO! No where in the Bible (as far as I know and I must admit I haven't exactly looked for this specific statement) does it say it is a sin for the bride and groom to see each other on their wedding day, before the ceremony. This is a superstition. Though I don't see anything wrong with keeping this superstitious tradition, I also don't think there is anything wrong with NOT keeping it. People have said to me that it is bad luck to see each other before the ceremony. Well, Daniel and I don't believe in luck. We just celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary and they have been the best 7 years of my life. God is what keeps our marriage strong, not luck.

Some people say that by seeing each other before the ceremony you miss the special moment when your groom sees you for the first time. I disagree. We had it set up were Daniel was in the church standing at the alter (where he would be for the ceremony) and he had his eyes closed. Then I came in and walked half way down the aisle. Then the photographer told Daniel to open his eyes. It was an incredible moment. The smile on Daniel's face was priceless. It was just me, Daniel and the photographer. No people starring at me, making me self conscious. Daniel was able to say that I looked beautiful without interrupting the wedding ceremony. It was perfect and I would not have wanted to do anything different.

Like I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping this superstitious wedding tradition, but here are my top 3 reasons for taking pictures before the wedding:

#3 - It calms your nerves before the big event. Most people are very nervous before their wedding ceremony. Getting a chance to see and talk to the person who was the best at calming my nerves was perfect for me. Seeing Daniel and talking to him before our ceremony made me feel so good, and completely calmed me.

#2 - Everyone looks fresh and perfect for pictures. No one has been crying from the emotions that a wedding ceremony can produce. Such as in the mothers or in the bride herself. No one has been sweating from having to stand in a tuxedo for an hour. And your wedding dress hasn't gotten dirty or messed up from walking around the church.

And the #1 reason - Your guest don't have to wait an hour for you to show up at the reception.

Disclaimer:
These are my reasons, why it was good that Daniel and I took pictures before the wedding. These reasons are specific to me and Daniel and this does not mean that I think it would be better for others to do the same. I think everyone needs to think about what would be best for them and do it that way. It is your wedding. I would point out not to let superstitions or even traditions prevent you from making your day perfect for YOU!

No comments: